In some rare instances, users do not possess a smartphone which is capable of reading QR codes and installing a modern authenticator app.
This article explain how issuer users can set up multi-factor authentication without possessing a smartphone.
To set up multi-factor authentication without access to a smartphone:
- Log in using you email address and password
- Click Set up multi-factor authentication
- From you computer, download and install the Authy desktop application
- Open the Authy desktop application and add a new account
- To add a new account to your Authy desktop app, copy the key (shown below the QR code displayed (on the Registry Direct website) and paste it into the Authy desktop application.
- Go back to the Registry Direct setup and click Continue
- Enter the 6-figure verification code supplied by the app on your device
- Enter an Alternative email address (If your mobile device is not available when you need to log in, we can send a code to your alternative email address for you to use instead).
- Click Continue
- Go to the inbox of your Alternative email address and open the email that contains a 6 digit code
- Enter the 6-figure verification code that was supplied in the email
- Click Finish multi -factor authentication set-up
- From now on you will need to use it in conjunction with your password, when you log in.
You can also watch this video to see Xero's example on how to set up Multi-factor authentication (Without access to a mobile device) for their platform.